Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

True Crime

The Bizarre and Chilling Murder of Chandra Ann Levy

Chandra Ann Levy in a file photo
The killing of Chandra Ann Levy shows how little a person can do to get justice when there are people of power involved

Strange conspiracies and sensational facts are abundant on social media and the internet, but rarely do we come across a case that is as fascinating as it is factual. Recorded, yes, but it also kept us at the edge of our seats and made us wonder what even happened. However, such is the case of Chandra Ann Levy, who was found murdered after having a royal affair with a congressman. Are alarm bells ringing? Rightfully so.

Chandra Ann Levy, born on April 14, 1977, was a young American intern at the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Washington, D.C. Her promising life took a tragic turn when she disappeared in May 2001. The nation watched in suspense as the search for Chandra Levy unfolded, her fate remaining a haunting mystery for an entire year until her skeletal remains were discovered in Rock Creek Park in May 2002.

The case gripped the American news media for its tragic elements and the shocking missteps that marred the investigation. The Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia (MPD) had failed to follow their search protocols, leaving Levy’s body to decompose in the park for a year. The intrigue deepened with the revelation that Ingmar Guandique, a man already in custody for assaulting women in the same park, had confessed to attacking Levy, only for his confession to be inexplicably dismissed by the authorities.

Instead, the media and the MPD focused on Congressman Gary Condit, a married Democrat serving his fifth term and a senior House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence member. Condit’s affair with Levy became the scandal of the year, casting a cloud of suspicion over him, even though he was never officially named a suspect and was eventually cleared of any involvement. The intense scrutiny led to Condit’s political downfall, costing him his re-election bid in 2002.

A file photo of Chandra Levy that has been pulled from the archives

A file photo of Chandra Levy that has been pulled from the archives

Years later, the case saw a dramatic turn. Following a series of investigative reports by The Washington Post in 2008, the MPD revisited the case. On March 3, 2009, they obtained a warrant to arrest Ingmar Guandique, the man they had dismissed years earlier. Already in prison for other assaults, Guandique was now accused of attacking Levy, tying her up in a remote area of the park, and leaving her to die from dehydration or exposure. In November 2010, Guandique was convicted of Levy’s murder and sentenced to 60 years in prison.

However, the twists in this case were far from over. In June 2015, Guandique was granted a new trial. By July 28, 2016, prosecutors decided not to proceed with the case against him, opting instead to seek his deportation. In March 2017, as documented in the series “Chandra Levy: An American Murder Mystery,” Guandique lost his bid to remain in the United States and was deported to El Salvador on May 5, 2017. Despite these developments, the true circumstances surrounding Chandra Levy’s death remain an unresolved enigma, leaving one of America’s most sensational cases without a conclusive end.

Who was Chandra Ann Levy?

Chandra Ann Levy’s story begins in Cleveland, Ohio, where she was born to Robert and Susan Levy. Her early years saw a move to Modesto, California, where she attended Grace M. Davis High School. The Levy family was active in their community, being members of Congregation Beth Shalom, a Conservative Jewish synagogue. Chandra’s academic journey took her to San Francisco State University, where she earned a degree in journalism. Her ambitions led her to internships with the California Bureau of Secondary Education and the office of Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan. She later pursued a master’s degree in public administration at the University of Southern California.

Chandra’s final semester brought her to Washington, D.C., for a coveted paid internship with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Starting in October 2000, she worked at the bureau’s headquarters in the public affairs division. Her supervisor, Dan Dunne, was notably impressed with her, particularly how she adeptly handled media inquiries about the high-profile execution of Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City Federal Building bomber.

However, Chandra’s promising internship was abruptly cut short in April 2001 when it was discovered that her academic eligibility had expired in December 2000. Despite this setback, she had already completed her master’s degree requirements and was set to return to California in May 2001 for her graduation.

The controversy surrounding Chandra Levy’s disappearance quickly drew intense scrutiny from the American news media. Congressman Gary Condit, who represented the Levy family’s district and was a married man, initially denied having an affair with Chandra. Despite police statements that Condit was not a suspect, the Levy family felt he was evasive and possibly withholding crucial information.

Chandra Levy is seen here in an undated family photo. On the right, Gary Condit walks from the Capitol after a vote in Washington.

Chandra Levy is seen here in an undated family photo. On the right, Gary Condit walks from the Capitol after a vote in Washington.

Unidentified police sources claimed that Condit admitted to the affair during a July 7, 2001, interview with law enforcement. Condit described Levy as a vegetarian who avoided alcohol and smoking. He was surprised to learn that her apartment lease had ended, as he believed she would return to Washington, D.C. after her graduation. Investigators searched Condit’s apartment on July 10 and questioned flight attendant Anne Marie Smith, who alleged that Condit had discouraged her from speaking to the FBI about his personal life. Smith, also involved in an affair with Condit, was not acquainted with Levy. Federal officials began investigating Condit for possible obstruction of justice due to his interactions with Smith.

Amidst the growing scandal, Condit refused to take a polygraph test administered by the D.C. police, though his attorney claimed he passed one given by a privately hired examiner on July 13. Condit’s evasive responses during a televised interview with Connie Chung on ABC News’ Primetime Thursday on August 23 only fueled public suspicion. Media coverage of the Levy case was relentless until it was overshadowed by the September 11 attacks.

Public opinion polls reflected the widespread suspicion and disapproval of Condit. A nationwide Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll in July 2001 found that 44 percent of respondents believed Condit was involved in Levy’s disappearance, and 27 percent thought he should resign. Fifty-one percent felt he was acting guilty, while only 13 percent supported his potential re-election. Condit’s constituents held a more favorable view, but the Levy controversy significantly damaged his political career.

On March 5, 2002, Condit lost the Democratic primary for his Congressional seat to his former aide, then-Assemblyman Dennis Cardoza, with the Levy scandal cited as a key factor. He was subpoenaed to appear before a District of Columbia grand jury investigating Levy’s disappearance on April 1, 2002, a date kept secret to prevent media leaks. Condit left Congress at the end of his term on January 3, 2003, after failing to win re-election, marking a dramatic fall from grace amidst one of the most sensational political scandals of the time.

The Strange Disappearance of Chandra Ann Levy

Chandra Levy was last seen on May 1, 2001. The mystery began to unfold when the Metropolitan Police Department was alerted on May 6. Chandra’s parents, worried after five days without contact, called from Modesto to report her missing. Police quickly checked local hospitals and visited her Dupont Circle apartment but found no signs of foul play.

On May 7, Chandra’s father shared a shocking detail with the police: his daughter had been having an affair with a U.S. congressman. The next day, he identified the congressman as U.S. Representative Gary Condit. Adding to the intrigue, Chandra’s aunt also confirmed the affair, having been confided in by Chandra herself. This revelation led police to obtain a warrant on May 10 to formally search Chandra’s apartment. Inside, they discovered her credit cards, identification, and mobile phone all left behind in her purse, along with partially packed suitcases. Her answering machine was filled with messages from worried relatives and two from Congressman Condit. A police sergeant’s attempt to examine Chandra’s laptop inadvertently corrupted the internet search data, delaying the investigation.

It took computer experts a month to reconstruct the data, revealing that on the morning of May 1, Chandra had searched for websites related to Amtrak, Baskin-Robbins, Condit, Southwest Airlines, and a weather report from The Washington Post. Her final search at 12:59 p.m. was for Alsace-Lorraine, a region in France. Significantly, at 11:33 a.m., she had searched for information about Rock Creek Park in The Washington Post’s “Entertainment Guide” and clicked a link to a park map at 11:34 a.m. Detectives theorized that she might have planned to meet someone at the Pierce-Klingle Mansion, the park’s headquarters.

Despite these clues, the initial search efforts in Rock Creek Park yielded no results. On July 25, 2001, a team of three D.C. police sergeants and 28 police cadets scoured the park along Glover Road but found no evidence related to Chandra’s disappearance.

Amidst the ongoing investigation, Chandra’s parents and friends held numerous vigils and press conferences, desperately trying to keep her case in the public eye and bring Chandra home. The relentless search for answers in this captivating and tragic case left the nation in suspense, wondering what had truly happened to Chandra Levy.

The Remains of Chandra Levy Is Found

On the morning of May 22, 2002, around 9:30 a.m., a man walking his dog and searching for turtles in Rock Creek Park stumbled upon a grim discovery near Broad Branch Creek in Washington, D.C. Skeletal remains, later confirmed through dental records to be Chandra Levy’s, lay scattered across a forested area along a steep incline. Among the scattered evidence were a sports bra, sweatshirt, leggings, and tennis shoes. Despite previous extensive searches covering over half of the park’s 1,754-acre main section, the wooded slope where Levy’s remains were found had not been examined. Due to a critical miscommunication, police officers had only searched within 100 yards of every road, as ordered, but neglected to cover areas 100 yards from every trail. Levy’s remains were found approximately four miles from her apartment.

The discovery prompted the District of Columbia police to initiate a preliminary autopsy, which led them to announce the opening of a homicide investigation. On May 28, D.C. medical examiner Jonathan L. Arden officially declared Levy’s death a homicide but cautioned, “There’s less to work with here than I would like. It’s possible we will never know specifically how she died.” Arden found damage to her hyoid bone, suggesting possible strangulation, but this evidence was not definitive.

Chandra Ann Levy's pants that was found with the body

Chandra Ann Levy’s pants that was found with the body

Further complications arose when, on June 6, private investigators hired by the Levy family discovered Chandra’s shin bone with some twisted wire about 25 yards from where her other remains were found. This discovery, missed by the initial police search, prompted a stern response from Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey, who stated, “It is unacceptable that these items were not located.” The revelation added another layer of complexity to an already tangled and tragic investigation, leaving many questions about Chandra Levy’s final moments unanswered.

Crime and Justice

In September 2001, the Washington, D.C. police and federal prosecutors received a tantalizing lead from a lawyer representing an informant in D.C. Jail. The informant claimed to have knowledge of Chandra Levy’s killer, identifying Ingmar Guandique, a 20-year-old undocumented immigrant from El Salvador also held in the jail. According to the informant, Guandique boasted that Congressman Gary Condit had paid him $25,000 to kill Levy.

However, investigators quickly dismissed the Condit connection. Guandique had already admitted to assaulting two other women in Rock Creek Park, the same park where Levy’s remains were found. Notably, Guandique had failed to show up for work on the day Levy disappeared, and his former landlady recalled that he had appeared scratched and bruised around that time. Despite these clues, the investigators did not interview the other victims of the Rock Creek Park assaults. Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey avoided labeling Guandique a suspect, instead calling him a “person of interest” and cautioning the media against making “too big a deal” about him. Assistant Chief Terrance W. Gainer reinforced this stance, stating that if Guandique were a suspect, the D.C. police would be pursuing him “like flies on honey.”

Guandique denied attacking Levy. On November 28, the FBI administered a polygraph test to the informant, which he failed. A subsequent polygraph test on Guandique on February 4, 2002, yielded inconclusive results officially ruled “not deceptive.” Both tests were complicated by language barriers, as neither the informant nor Guandique was fluent in English. Chief detective Jack Barrett expressed a preference for bilingual examiners, who were unavailable at the time. When Judge Noel Anketell Kramer was asked about Guandique’s potential involvement in Levy’s homicide, she dismissed it as a “satellite issue” unrelated to the case at hand. Guandique was sentenced to 10 years in prison for his attacks on the other women in Rock Creek Park and was subsequently transferred to the U.S. Penitentiary, Big Sandy in Kentucky, and later to the U.S. Penitentiary at Victorville, California.

The hillside where the body of Chandra Levy was found

The hillside where the body of Chandra Levy was found

The Levy case remained a cold case until 2006, when Cathy L. Lanier succeeded Ramsey as D.C. police chief. Lanier replaced the lead detective on the case with three veteran investigators who had more homicide experience. In 2007, The Washington Post assigned a new team of reporters to re-examine the Levy case over the course of a year. The resulting series of articles, published in the summer of 2008, highlighted the police’s past failure to thoroughly investigate Guandique’s connection to the Rock Creek Park attacks. In September 2008, investigators searched Guandique’s federal prison cell in California and found a photo of Levy that he had saved from a magazine. They also interviewed acquaintances of Guandique and witnesses to the other incidents in the park.

On March 3, 2009, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia issued an arrest warrant for Guandique. He was returned to the custody of the D.C. Department of Corrections on April 20 via the Federal Transfer Center in Oklahoma City. Two days later, Guandique was charged in D.C. with Levy’s murder. A grand jury indicted him on six counts: kidnapping, first-degree murder committed during a kidnapping, attempted first-degree sexual abuse, first-degree murder committed during a sexual offense, attempted robbery, and first-degree murder committed during a robbery. Guandique pleaded not guilty at his arraignment, and a trial date was initially set for January 27, 2010. However, his lawyers argued that the search of Guandique’s federal prison cell was outside the court’s jurisdiction. Moreover, errors in evidence processing led to DNA contamination from prosecution employees, delaying the trial’s start to October 4, 2010.

On February 1, 2011, Ingmar Guandique’s attorneys filed for a new trial, claiming the verdict was improperly attained. The 17-page filing accused prosecutors of appealing to the jury’s emotions and referencing facts not in evidence. It also alleged that a juror had breached instructions by being influenced by another juror’s notes. The prosecution argued that this issue was merely a technicality that did not significantly affect the verdict.

Guandique faced a sentence ranging from 30 years to life imprisonment without parole. Prosecutors sought the maximum sentence, stating that Guandique “is unable to control himself and thus, will always remain a danger to women.” A memo from February 2011 cited Guandique’s harassment of female prison staff as evidence of his ongoing danger. Assistant U.S. Attorney Fernando Campoamor-Sanchez revealed he had traveled to El Salvador to investigate allegations that Guandique fled his home country due to suspected attacks on local women.

During the February 11 sentencing hearing, Guandique addressed Levy’s family, insisting on his innocence while expressing regret for their loss. Susan Levy, emotionally confronting him, asked, “Did you really take her life? Look me in my eyes and tell me.” Judge Gerald Fisher denied Guandique’s request for a retrial and sentenced him to 60 years in prison, labeling him a “sexual predator.”

On February 25, 2011, public defender James Klein appealed Guandique’s conviction. The appeal process, as noted in the court’s annual report, typically takes an average of 588 days. In late 2012 and early 2013, secret hearings were held, later revealed to be related to new evidence in the case. This led to a fourth hearing scheduled for April 2013.

Chandra Levy and Gary Condit posing together

Chandra Levy and Gary Condit posing together

In May 2015, prosecutors dropped their opposition to a new trial after defense claims emerged that their key witness, Armando Morales, had perjured himself. The defense argued that Morales, a jailhouse informant, had lied about never cooperating with law enforcement before the Levy case. Further, they presented a new witness who reported hearing a “blood-curdling scream” from Levy’s apartment on the last day she was alive. Judge Gerald Fisher granted a new trial, initially set for March 1, 2016, but later moved to October 11.

In November 2015, prosecutors admitted to failing to turn over documents to the defense before Guandique’s first trial. By December, the defense argued for dismissing charges based on these errors, particularly a missing memo page detailing Morales’s past cooperation with law enforcement. This omission, the defense claimed, suggested Morales fabricated his testimony to gain favor with prosecutors.

On July 28, 2016, prosecutors announced they would not proceed with the case against Guandique and instead sought his deportation.

In 2020, the District of Columbia Bar’s Office of Disciplinary Counsel (ODC) began investigating allegations against prosecutors Campoamor-Sanchez and Haines for failing to disclose exculpatory evidence. Despite an initial finding of no ethical or legal violations by the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility, the ODC recommended a six-month suspension for both attorneys. Both contested the punishment, denying any wrongdoing and defending their actions during the trial.

The case of Chandra Levy remains a haunting reminder for generations to come. Not because of the murder but for the tried and tested fact that people in power can indeed get away with murder, and there is nothing that you can do about it.

Next, read about  the case of a South Korean woman who killed to see if it was thrilling enough, and then, about the real reason Omegle shut down for good.

Did you like this Morbid post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 6

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Written By

Abin Tom Sebastian, also known as Mr. Morbid in the community, is an avid fan of the paranormal and the dark history of the world. He believes that sharing these stories and histories are essential for the future generations. For god forbid, we have seen that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More? Bet!


5 (13) Imagine the scenario Drifting in the vast expanse of the ocean, a diver emerges from the depths to find their vessel absent...


5 (3) On the 10th of November, 2014, Kenny Veach embarked on a journey to retrace his steps to a peculiar cave he had...


4.9 (11) At the age of nine, Asha Degree went missing. It was one of the most bizarre cases the police had ever seen...


5 (4) The Beaumont Children, one of the most disturbing and heart-wrenching cases to take place in Australia, occurred on the tranquil morning of...